Increasing Lean Body Mass with Exercise and Diet:
Cleaning up your diet is the first goal to lose weight and to overall build a healthier version of you. First: get rid of any processed foods and focus on healthy whole foods that are organic, if possible. Following an Anti-Inflammatory diet is a great option, but overall just plain clean up your diet. The basics are to add more protein, more greens, more healthy fats and moderate “good” carbs.
Protein Intake and Sources:
Generally, it is recommended to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to add lean body mass. Any more than this, you are overdoing it as your body will turn these extra calories into fat as well as adding some stress to your kidneys.
Clean whey concentrate protein powder is the best option instead of eating meat constantly. You have to read the label and insure it is pure whey concentrate protein and without any other added ingredients.
Avoid whey proteins that are processed using acid and/or made from ultra-pasteurized milk. This is one of the main ways to tell whether a whey protein is high quality. Along with this, whey protein isolates do not include important nutritional co-factors that are lost when processed. Also avoid any whey products that include soy, polysorbate 80, caseinates, maltodextrin, propylene glycol, ethoxylated mono-diglycerides, and sugar/artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame.
Search for ones that are made from unpasteurized raw milk from grass fed cows, cold pressed, certified organic and naturally sweetened, containing MCTs, no hormones, chemicals, sugar, and sugar substitutes. Stevia is acceptable.
One of the reasons whey protein is such a great protein source is because it is rich in branched chain amino acids-leucine, iso-leucine and valine. These “bcaa’s” are also found in abundance in boiled eggs, chicken, turkey and wild caught salmon.
There are several exercise programs that you can tap into to figure out which one you like the best. If you hit a plateau, you can jump from one to another to keep your body from adapting to a certain program. It doesn’t have to be weight training either, callisthenic strength training is a great example where you are using only your body weight to get the benefits of muscle strengthening and hypertrophy.
Other options include using free weights for full range of motion, resistance machines to help with support and specific movement for a specific muscle, power yoga, and various other types of equipment. The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to exercise and gaining muscle. Ideally, you will should incorporate weight training into your exercise routine 3x per week.
Supplementation to Increase Lean Body Mass
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine: This supplement offers various benefits for sports to help burn stored fat while keeping and even augmenting muscle mass.
- L-Glutamine: This is an amino acid that is used to protect the lining of the GI tract- very useful for bodybuilders. It also helps promote muscle mass and strength gains.
- GPC: Alpha GPC offers great benefits for bodybuilders. One of these is that it repairs muscles after working out and increases mental focus during a workout.
- Nitric Oxide (NO) Supplementation: NO helps remove exercise induced lactic acid build up, reduces fatigue and recovery time, and supports blood flow and oxygen to the skeletal muscles.
- Ribose: Ribose helps athletes keep their energy, which allows them to perform better and increase their muscle growth.
If you combine a anti-inflammatory proper diet full of bcaa proteins, with a great exercise routine and the right supplements you will indeed increase your lean body mass.